Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I look back and I wish.....

Just pondering over my life right now, It was inevitable to think about my teens (read 2 years of college) and early teens (meaning school). I also read an article in the news magazine section about “wise” childhood. I just had a pitstop on the early life and wondered how it would like to be in the teens again- just this time with the benefit of hindsight. Here's my list of things, in no particular order (random), I would keep in mind if in the teens again

Things I wish had known more clearly during my early teens
  • The wannabe groups in school were actually not very cool people to hang out with. They would always stupid issues of the third kind.
  • No matter how much you diet and how hard you exercise, you will never be that thin again.
  • Nothing outside of who I am in God can make me cool.
  • 2nd most important decision I would make is, who my friends were.
  • People who invest in mutual funds are not losers.
  • Eat all the desserts to satisfy your “sweet tooth”. Very soon even a spoonful of chocolate delight would travel straight to add to the paunch.
  • If you keep looking at the phone, it would never ring.
  • There is a reason why you lose touch with so many school friends. You simply have nothing in common except for the fact that you were once in a class together. Don't feel guilty.
  • Don't bother fighting it, eventually you'll turn into your father. By the time a man realizes that his father was right, he'll have a son who thinks that he's wrong.
  • A man who doesn't read good books has NO advantage over a man who doesn't read at all.
  • You can only really make friends when you are young. After that, you’re stuck with chance acquaintances and work contacts whom you also socialize with.
  • Nothing is as important as you think.
  • Friends are way more important than lovers – and nearly always outlast them.
  • If you want something, don’t be afraid to ask.
  • Never throw a party if you will be the most interesting man in the party.
  • You can’t change the world – but don’t let it change you either.
  • Exercise is something you do to keep fit not to get thin.
  • Ultimately, love remains out of necessity.
  • Never mistake Knowledge for wisdom, one helps make a living, other helps you ,make a life.

Things I'm glad I knew
  • Outdoors sports were as much fun (or more) than the en vogue Video and PC games
  • Quizzing is great fun and not a nerdy game
  • Succumbing to Peer Pressure is not Manly in any ways...
  • Don't try and color your hair to be jazzy, you'll anyways have to do that as a monthly chore soon.
  • That I was not a loser reading all the literature that I did during early years.

But Overall, I think what we did in the early teens was out of innocence. It was awesome because thats how we learn and most of our lives we learn the hard way.
I think our teens was the best of both the worlds – conventional, radical and adoption to advancements (socially and technologically). So we played the en vogue PC games listened to the “in” music & read the teen novels yet - loved life, listened to Indian soul music, read classic literature, enjoyed the lap of nature and played outdoors conventionally. As it is I love my life and have NO regrets.

So I look back in glory and just thank everyone for it....

6 comments:

RahulG said...

Yeah dude.. like sakshi said, write about the literature you've read so far..

Perceptions about the world would be so many that i'd have to co-author it with you! ;)

RahulG said...

>> Getting top marks in the class gives you momentary happiness but is pretty much useless in the long run.

>> School romances are the most innocent and the most useless.

>> Keeping everything under wraps .. concealing .. not sharing knowledge (about anything, not just acads) leads you nowhere. The more you share, the more you yourself learn.

>> The best teachers are those lovely teachers of the school! I have never found better ones.

Ah.. Urvashi Ma'am, how I miss you!

>> Dumb charades is a lot more than just winning by guessing in microseconds ... it's more about enjoying yourself and entertaining your audience (and obviously trying to win!)

>> Inter-school competitions include much more than just taking part, you get to see a lot of other things! ;)

>> Having an everlasting friend from school is one of the best things you could ever do to yourself.

Thanks bro for being there!

AB said...

@sakshi: I think you missed the point completely... its not about naming the frnds.... its for one and for all... everyone should relate to some part of it...

Well waht i can atleast do is... Thank you sakshi.. thanks for everything... including the comment

@rahul: Ypu'll have to co-author my books any ways
Copyleft... All lefts Free

You have added really good stuff to the list.. I like the dumb charades one and "missing" Urvashi maam

30.45 N,76.48 E said...

No regrets!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Brilliant thoughts man! Feels nice to read it. I cant agree more on some of the points pointed out by you :)